HGTV? No not really!
September is whizzing by!
Nothing makes you feel more AWARE of time (and the lack of) when you are on the hook and committed to turn back a company’s operation, whether it’s a restaurant, office or REALLY time sensitive spaces like casinos, hotel rooms or suites! You become very accountable to your client for getting them back in service.
This month we are at that touchy point of being in the spotlight as the contractors begin to wrap up some projects that have been cooking all summer! You get to a point where you have no margin left for error and everything MUST go as scheduled. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of logistics, factories and suppliers to fabricate, ship, deliver and install, all at the same time from many different points.
It’s a juggling act!!!
If one thing goes wrong or is damaged in shipping or is delayed, it can affect the whole interior project and perhaps delay getting back in operation! That is the worst case when you have a client that has booked those rooms or planned a grand opening! UGH! Now THAT is the non-glamorous part that the vast programming on HGTV leaves out on all the design shows.
It takes an army to produce and execute a design. Most people say that “Interior Design must be such an exciting and fabulous profession!” Well… it is when things go as planned and it isn’t when things fall apart, which happens more often than you think! Then you have to be very creative to figure out how you are installing furnishings when the flooring has not arrived! Truthfully, the design process and conceptual side of things is indeed wonderful, but honestly, it’s about 20% of the process. The other 80% is business, money, negotiation, whip cracking and problem solving, and at times can be very anxiety inducing and exhausting!
HGTV shows share the artsy and glamorous part in that 30 minutes, but never show you the months of planning or REAL costs, and the production army behind the scenes.
Now that’s the real design process!
Below are some images from yesterday’s installation. We were waiting with the installation team for that semi to wheel up to the hotel for rooms and lobby furniture! Still missing accessories and final finessing! We had to wait for the adhesives to set. Yes! It is commercial artwork and lighting needs to be locked down!
Next time you are in a space, remember, it’s a lot more work to get that together than you might think!!
Here are some photos of our work in progress from this past week!
Enter your email below to be notified when we post a new blog!
WHL Design Group is an Interior Design firm in Las Vegas, NV